Thursday, January 2, 2014

NYE, January o2, 2o14

Thursday,

   Yes, yes, I know too well . . . been a ghost on my poetry page. But I have risen as a new year has risen from the cold, plotting footsteps of 2013. So, forgive me? Be kind enough to read me, and puzzle, as I puzzle, over the words I present to you this early, yawning morning.

NYE

Folding this year up into a nice, neat square.
I'll place it in the closet on top the brown
moving boxes I've stored there.
Perhaps . . . I'll sneak a peek at it
as the month of January yawns on.
Yes, separation anxiety will surely saddle up,
gallop insanely through the blue waters
forming 'round my eyes
as the thoughts birthed in 2013 fight
for their God given right to continue to exist.

And, yes, I'll remember you, the sweet, wet,
drunken kiss of you in the garage, your hands
clinging catlike to the back of my greasy head,
the bumble bee mumbling of those words
you recited each and every New Year's Eve,

"I'll love you forever."

Hmmm. I won't pack that one away.
I'll sentence it to solitary confinement,
take it out once in a while for a walk
down the block to the Duck Pond,
toss it a stick, play with it . . .

 "That's a good boy!"
 
. . . as the months of 2014
busy themselves, creating
their own subconscious regrets
to regret on the next New Year's Eve.
rrw 12-31-13







 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment